My 1,000 Peso - Spending Rule



                                         WHAT BRAND ARE YOU?
I remember I was browsing my facebook before when I saw this title "WHAT BRAND ARE YOU? in one of the album in my brother’s facebook account. It made  me think about this question last Sunday, so I went upstairs open my aparador, check my drawers & lastly check my shoes,…..and the answer - NONE. Woohh, I don’t own any of these brands. 

Nike, Adidas, Benetton, Havainas, Lacoste, Levis, Marithe Francois Girbaud, Rudy Project, Swatch, G-shock, etc etc etc. I’ve got nothing against these brands just by looking at their boutiques inside the mall you will know that their products are all durable, classy, & beautiful. 
Call me "kuripot", I dont care. In all honesty, “ nilalagnat ako kapag nakakakita ako ng tag price nila na above one thousand pesos (except for the sale ofcourse but I still don’t buy it anyway). For a minimum wage earner “ang hirap bitawan ng one thousand pesos” because it would take me almost three days (466 x 3 days minus allowance & deductions) to earn it.



This is the reason why I have developed a “1,000 Peso- Spending Principle” in my head. For me, if I’m going to buy something equal or above one thousand pesos there must be a reason or a value.


Reason – if it’s really really needed & no other options but to buy it. Usually this refer more on basic needs, household repairs & appliances.

Value – anything above one thousand pesos, must have a value that appreciate not depreciate otherwise this should go to my savings or to an investment. I only got one item for that – Gold Jewellries. I remember I bought my mother a gold ring @ P 1,700.00 fifteen (15) years  ago as a birthday gift & then she confessed to me four years ago that she pawned it @ P 3,800.00 @ Cebuana Lhuillier but she was able to redeemed it after few months knowing that I would get mad once I found out - that's when my interest in gold jewellries begins. So whenever I saw a 50% off gold sale @ Market Market Mall my eyes begin to roll. I once bought an 18k saudi gold pendant @ P1,500.00 three years ago & now it is pawned again @ P1,100.00 --- but I'll be redeeming it soon. Another ten years I know its value will be doubled. So if ever I happen to choose between buying a P1,300.00 worth gold pendant or a P1,300.00 worth of bag - I'll be choosing the first.
"These two are my reasons in buying my personal apparels – I really think of a thousand reasons before letting go my one thousand pesos. Anyway there still other brands in malls with the same quality that are more affordable and more suitable for my needs. "

Going back to the question, upon checking my personal stuffs last Sunday I still got 3 owned items with a price above one thousand that was bought under my spending rule.


1) My Red Converse Shoes – this is my favorite shoes which I bought last December 2012 @ P1,850.00. I've been wanting a red chucks ever since but I was hesitant to buy it since for me it was expensive so I ask my monito to just give me a P700.00 cash for our exchange gift + I was given a P1,000.00 gift certificate from my standard chartered credit card + 150.00 additional from my pocket).



2) My White New Balance Running Shoes – which I bought 3 years ago @ P1,650.00.
I was with my brother when we saw this shoes, " nung nai-fit ko sabi ko-komportable ha, sige na ate bilhin mo na hati na lang tayo." My brother knows that I wont buy a pair of shoes with that amount.

3) My Casio Watch – which I bought last December 2013 @ 1,399.00. I’ve been longing for this watch for more than a month so when I saw the 50% off sale last December I ask  my monita to just give me P700.00 cash during our exchange gift,  I just added P699.00 for it.


Well, we all have different wants, different needs, different styles & different way of living but we must live our life accordingly. A lifestyle not according to our society but a lifestyle according to our capacity. If your a minimum wager like me then we should be wise in spending our money. Think twice before letting go of your one thousand pesos and start asking yourself first - "Will this appreciate or depreciate over the years?" or "Does it have a value or will I gain from it?"

My brothers sometimes tell me “kuripot mo talaga te”. I just smile & answer back inside my head “I’d rather have a hundred of thousand pesos in my savings & investments than to have a hundred of branded personal stuffs crowding in my room.”

"A Hundred Thousand Pesos", hmmmm sounds good. I think I got a new goal next year.


How about you?
WHAT BRAND ARE YOU?



Just sharing some thoughts today!
Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Pang Old Navy lang talaga ako at tska Gap. One of the cheapest store here. Then I go ukay ukay too. Now, I am into Lululemon, a kinda expensive workout outfit store. Pa minsan minsan lang,I get to reward myself with few wants so id get motivated to run coz running=getting fit and getting fit=not getting sick.

    Horray for your chucks. I have 15 pair of chucks,too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nakita ko yung mga chucks mo, gaganda :)

    tamaa!!! we need to get fit, bawal magkasakit......

    ReplyDelete