Finding Alternatives -Back to Basic


The good thing about most Filipinos is that they are very responsible to their families.
But the bad thing is - sometimes their family members become too dependent.
Being a breadwinner is not bad but being trapped in that position is very difficult.

Being the only girl in the family molds me into thinking that I dont have to earn more.(Maybe that's one of my regrets - I didnt focus on self improvement). I shouldn't be the one to provide for family needs, it's a man's job to be a good provider. And I still have three brothers to assume the responsibility. But having an alcoholic jobless father, a jobless brother & a mother who's making rugs as the only main source of income in the family before pushes me to work hard.

For almost 18 years of being a minimum wage earner I was able to help my brother finish college & provide a small house for my family (the lot is not yet ours I just paid for the right for 75,000 - 15 yrs ago-its a long story). It's been my goal to have a small house since renting a house, the advance & deposit payments everytime we move to another house always drains all my savings before.
But things don't turn out the way I thought it would be. Life is more comfortable now but harder on my side. My eldest brother is still jobless, my younger brother already has his own family & my youngest brother has a job already but you know boys prioritize their gf first. I thought I am done with my obligations but nope, I am still on the same loop. I guess I just have to accept it, I can't bear seeing my mother handles all the problems at home. She has done so many sacrifices for the family.


But this situation will not prevent me from fulfilling all my goals this 2014.
Even if living below my means is really hard since almost 50 % of my income goes to the family's household expenses, I must save. But If I can't save for my mutual fund then I must find alternatives:

*First alternative - making rugs @ home
Making rugs is what my mother & I do during weekends this prevents us from going to the malls.This was also my first source of income before & this is what I do while watching TV @ home.
And yesterday I did two bundles of it, just one more & I'll finally have one thousand pesos for my mutual fund this August, yehey.....





If you can't adjust your means then you have to live below your means.
If you can't live below your means then you have to adjust your means.










4 comments:

  1. Ha! Same as my situation! I am the only girl among sibs, I sent my bro to college and just recently graduated but no job. I'm the breadwinner,too. The only difference we have is I am far away from home and your not.

    Life is too short to be far away from loved ones and in our deathbeds, we surely don't say " I wish I have spent time making more money".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tama ka dyan, I read your blogs too, mas mahirap sacrifice mo sa family mo, di ko kaya malayo sa family ko kaya tiis lang ako dito sa pinas. Matalino ka, I wish you good luck to another chapter of your life here in the Philippines on September :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just discovered your blog recently and I've been back-reading your posts. I enjoy reading them. I like how you keep track of your financial goals and I admire you for that. I wish I had the same mindset as yours when it comes to spending money when I first had my job. Btw, since you've been an active blogger, why don't you monetize your blog? This can be your source passive income.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how that ad thing works plus I'm not confident with my grammar & that's one of the reason why I put up my personal blog---to track my goals & continue to improve myself.
      Thanks for dropping by sis :)

      Delete