Battle Against Cancer : PCSO Interview & Free Chemo Meds

        We went to PCSO last Dec 19 to file the requirements needed for free chemo drugs and was scheduled for interview last January 16. Initially my plan was to send my mother and my brother as my representatives since I think that my physical condition is not ready to face the commuter-PUV world out there and my immune system is not strong anymore as it was before. But while I was giving them some instructions arguments started, "ang hirap ng parehong highblood magsama, heheh" and so I decided to go to PCSO instead of my Kuya. As much as possible, I do not want to worry about the health condition of my family while I am on the process of chemo treatment - my father had a stroke already, my mother had kidney problems, hypertensive and problem with her reproductive organs too and my kuya is hypertensive also.

      And so my mother and I went to PCSO, we woke up at 3am and at 4:30 am we were at PCSO Lung Center Quezon City. "Grabe ang haba ng pila!?!" The volume of the people that day were thrice the number of people we saw last December and I was lucky that my mother managed to fall in line in senior/pwd special lane and I was one of first ten to be given an interview pass. But 4 hours had passed and more than 20 person were called still I haven't heard my name. I started to get upset then I went to the guard near the social worker area and politely ask if he can check if there's a problem with my papers and he just told, "wala ma'am problema yan, antayin nyo lang ang pangalan nyo." So I went back to my seat but I still felt that maybe there's something wrong with my papers and so I went to the guard and he just answered again, "marami kayo ma'am, antay lang po." Still not contented with his answer, I went back to him -"impossible kuya, kasama ako sa first 10 na tinawag paki check naman." and so he went inside, ask who handles my name and told me, "ma'am wala talagang response paantay na lang."

       I was kind of frustrated that time and part of the chemo side effects to me was on my emotional control/stability. I easily cry and gets upset and when my mother noticed the tears in my eyes she just told me,"hayaan mo na pasasaan din matatawag din tayo." And so we waited, I just turn on my fb and saw the message from my classmate who's husband died of cancer, "Tiyaga lang Grace, ganyan talaga sa PCSO mababait naman social worker dyan at worth it ang pag-aantay mo dyan kasi malaki ang maitutulong talaga nila sa mga taong in need na katulad natin." True enough, after 30 minutes my name was called and was approved with five chemo drugs set worth P18,300/set financial assistance after the interview. I was also given a special index card for cancer patient so I won't experience anymore the hassle and struggle of filing for every chemo drugs request.

     We were then advised to wait until 3pm for its release but the weather that day was not so good - it was kind of hot in the morning and the rain fell down in the afternoon. It was already 3:30pm when my approved papers was released. It was still raining and traffic was starting to occur in sight. We decided to head back home instead of going to PHILCOA where the chemo meds can be redeemed. It would be harder for us to commute from QC to FTI when rush hour in EDSA steps in.

     I was really tired that day but thankful I didn't catch any sickness and managed to get a really deep sleep at night, my first deep sleep after my chemo. God is really good, so thankful to HIM for my free chemo drugs and to PCSO as well. I will only be saving for the remaining laboratories and hospital bill every chemo session.

OBSERVATIONS
    While we were waiting, I started observing and talking to some people around me. Some people will share their stories. Some people are eager to share what they know when they hear you ask something. Some people will simply smile at you. Some people will still smile at you eventhough you feel that they are also in pain (may cancer at nag-dialysis kasi yung ibang nag-aantay dun). What captured my attention was the group of women who seemed to have no worries while waiting for their names to be called for the guarantee letter, dialysis and chemo meds assistance. They were laughing, eating biscuits & squash seeds as if they were having a picnic and conversing to each other as if they have no problems at all. "Bilib talaga akong magdala ang Pinoy, matatag at nakukuha pang ngumiti at magsaya kahit matindi na ang problema, ganyan tayo e." I guess that's one of the Filipino traits I can truly be proud of.

             MAG-COMMENT NAMAN LAHAT NG MGA PINOY NA AGREE DYAN!!!


Till then. Have a great day!
Promise I will write about the medical assistance I received from these government institution so I can also help those in need who doesn't have any idea about it.
God Bless everyone!!!
     

8 comments:

  1. Super agree!!! Iba talaga ang Pinoy, masayahin, malakas ang pananampalataya sa Diyos at di agad-agad natitinag ng matitinding problema, health-related or not. Pagaling ka, Grace! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OO sis, ang sandalan tlaga natin Diyos, especially pag mabigat na problema. Thank you so much Ms. Edel :)

      Delete
  2. Agree ako sa sinabi mo sis kaya magko'comment ako. Hahaha. Ganun siguro talaga tayo na kapag nasa lusak na e ngingiti pa rin. Syempre nasa putikan na nga tayo tapos nakasimangot/busangot pa mukha natin. Ang pangit na natin nun. Wag ganun. Haha. Charot! Sis, nakapanuod pala ako ng docu tapos yung isang na feature din e yung girl na may breast cancer. May sinalihan syang Group/Advocate sa FB. If sakali ma'tripan mo magjoin dun. Hehe. May mga seminars kasi sila at group together tapos parang ang saya-saya lang nila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oks lang, may classmates na ako tuwing chemo session kaya nung second chemo ko tawanan at kwentuhan kami kasi nagbibiro lagi yung isang pasyente. Sabi nya, "ayaw ko ng tahimik, wala naman tayo sa burol, tayo ang pasyente so we will talk and laugh when we want to." kaya natapos ang chemo session ko na di ko napansin oras. Masarap kakwentuhan mga cancer patients, iba ang will to survive nila at maiinspire ka sa kanilang lumaban. Ganyan tayong mga Pinoy eh!

      Delete
  3. Naremember ko rin yung isang taon na pumipila kami sa heart center ng madaling araw para mag-apply sa charity nila..dumadating kami ng before 6am, matatawag kami ng mga 11am tapos pila na naman sa hapon para sa ibang dept. madami na kaming classmates ng father in law ko. Hehehe! Nirefer kami ng isang doctor sa Z benefit ng philhealth. We complied to their requirements, sa edad na 71, naaprobahan pa sya to undergo bypass surgery. Zero billing kami at quadruple bypass ginawa kay dad..

    Nagbigay din ang city namin ng cash assistance.. tapos gumawa ako joint account namin for trust fund. dun napupunta lahat ng cash donations sa kanya. Sabi nya, joint account daw kami para may access ako to withdraw money incase may mangyare sa kanya.. ako lang kasi ang available para samahan sya sa hospital at maglakad ng mga papera nya..

    I really admire your strength ang perseverance para baguhin ang buhay mo sis since before ka pa nadiagnose. Matagal tagal na rin na di ko nabisita site mo. I was shocked na eto na yung nababasa ko dito.. Nainspire mo ako sa advocacy mo sa buhay.. Alam ko gaano kahirap financially ang pinagdadaanan mo. Paano ba ako makatulong kahit pampamasahe lang panlakad lakad ng mga papers mo?






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sis,hindi ko kasi nagamit ang Philhealth ko kasi nagbago ng rules. Second, hindi kasama ang ovarian cancer ng Z benefits ng Philhealth and third, pumunta na rin kami sa city hall hindi na rin sila nagbibigay ng cash assistance because of the pdaf issue pure guarantee letter din ang binibigay nila pero sa mga selected hospital lang at di kasama ang ospital.
      Buti nandyan ka at matyaga mo nagawan ng paraan ang operasyon ng papa mo, bilib ako sau. I hope oks na sya today.

      Delete
  4. I am very sorry about your situation Ms.Grace...
    Just do not lose the faith in Him...makakaraos ka rin sa sitwasyon mo...God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im okay sis, I have faith in HIM. I know di nya ako pababayaan. God Bless din Sis.

      Delete